Recycling Today: The New Reality
There’s no doubt about it, the recycling industry is going through a major change. China, who has been one of the world’s leading importer of foreign waste for decades now, has banned imports of certain materials and tightened standards for those that they do. These new restrictions have affected us greatly. Not only do these changes have a direct impact on our daily operations here at Ambit but also as a larger community and you may not have even realized it.
Take a look at the article linked below. It explains, in more depth, the situation we’re currently facing in regards to our waste and recycling.
To highlight some things-
– “.. California’s once-proud recycling reputation is in a tailspin.”
– “Recycling rates have fallen from 50 percent to 44 percent.”
– “.. fewer materials can be reclaimed – forcing us to re-think familiar conveniences. Certain plastics and papers are the biggest problem, especially if soiled by food or fluids.”
– “.. recycling is still good for the environment because it reduces the need to extract minerals, pump oil and cut down forests…”
– ” What’s changed is the economics. Recyclables are just commodities, with values that swing in response to global supply and demand.”
Recycling STILL matters, folks. There’s a solution to every problem as they say and as a whole we’re in the process of doing just that! We’ve taken a list from The Mercury News article and copied it below. These are definitely some of the ways you can help- things we can ALL work on.
How to be a better recycler:
– Empty bottle and cans of all liquids.
– Empty and clean food containers.
– Compost all food scraps.
– Refuse plastic packaging when possible.